As the world around us is being locked away and fellow colleagues are having to work from home we thought we would share some top tips that Sarah Hood from Lime Blue Solutions has found on working from home and how to make it less daunting for those that are not used to it and may be feeling anxious.
It is important to keep yourself motivated and maintain your company comradery even though there is a distance between you and the rest of your colleagues.
At Lime Blue we are making sure we have our virtual coffee at 10 o’clock every morning via video call. You can see some of the team and this sets us up for a good start to the day, checking in on how everybody is, what their work plans are for the day and most of all it is nice to see some friendly faces.
Some positive steps we think really help include:
1. Get dressed. Psychologically, it prepares you to start work and improves your state of mind. It is not a good idea to stay in your pyjamas!
2. Establish boundaries. Be ready to start your day at the set hours you usually would work and try and stick to these.
3. Get out and about (if not self-isolating). Working from home shouldn’t mean you stay cooped up indoors all day. While you might not miss your daily commute, it does guarantee that you leave the house at least once during the day. Go and enjoy the fresh air. A different perspective will also help undo mental blocks and give you a fresh pair of eyes for any tasks you’re struggling with.
4. Pick up the phone. Make some time to pick up the phone and have a real conversation with a colleague if you feel as though you haven’t spoken to anyone during the day.
5. Take regular breaks. You don’t need to stay glued to your screen all day, it’s important to we take regular screen breaks and move around like you would in an office.
6. Don’t feel guilty. If you miss a call because you popped to the loo or go to make a drink, don’t feel guilty about it. Just call back or send an email.
7. Keep the radio on. Having background music helps your physical and mental energy.
Just remember we are all in this together, so do not feel alone ❤